Monday, February 1, 2010

How about some introductions....

Want to hear a startling fact? In Arizona it is estimated around 120,000 pets enter animal care facilities every year. Want to hear a sad fact? About only half of those find homes...

The current economic situation has not helped these facts out very much. With all the foreclosed homes came a new and terrible trend of pet owners leaving their pets behind with no food or water as they faced foreclosure. Some pets were left for weeks at a time waiting for the people they thought they could trust to come home and take care of them.

This is where Lost Our Home came into the picture.

Lost Our Home is a non-profit group of real estate professionals who began to notice the number of pets being left behind in foreclosed homes and knew something needed to be done. Now with a group of dedicated volunteers, they spend their own personal time rescuing these pets and placing them in loving homes.

So how does my path cross with the work of Lost Our Home? Why I am so passionate about the foundation?

Let me introduce you to my amazing companion Nunu...



Nunu came into my life by pure chance but I seriously can't imagine life without her.

Nunu belonged to some old neighbors I had. She was a birthday gift for one of the kids in the family when she was just a kitten. Soon the joy of having a kitten wore off and the family decided to no longer allow Nunu inside the house. She had no food or water.

Now, I love cats, I mean loooove cats. You can imagine my joy when the cutest little kitty would come running up to me when I went out to get the mail. It didn't take too long before I was spending more and more time outside loving this beautiful gray fluff-ball. Once the kids next door even told me the story of Nunu and how she didn't come inside anymore. I was appalled and immediately starting putting out food and water for her. I also started calling to her by saying "Nu nu nu, come here kitty kitty," and the so the same Nunu stuck.

Soon after I started taking care off Nunu strictly as an outside cat, the neighbors just moved away. They left without even thinking or asking about this poor kitty. Not like they were doing much to take care of her anyways.

I decided Nunu would be my outside kitty. I got her fixed and set up a nice little spot for her in the carport. However, it was undeniable that Nunu craved some love and attention.

I started to let her spend time inside while I watched television...then I showed her how to use the doggy door...then she pretty much became and instant member of our family.

She is the most loving cat and you probably wouldn't believe me if you met her if I told you she used to be homeless.

However, I knew that there were so many more Nunus out there, so when I needed to start a public relations internship for my journalism degree, I wanted to work with a company I believed in.

I heard about Lost Our Home in the news before and decided to see if I could possibly do my internship with them.

It all worked out and now I am excited to start my internship with Lost Our Home.

Guess I should tell you about myself. My name is Heidi. I am a native to Arizona and I love animals with a passion.

I asked my supervisors at Lost Our Home if I could keep a blog to write all about what I will be doing for Lost Our Home and to introduce you to some of the amazing pets and people this foundation is made of!

So stick around because it is going to be great Spring semester!

-Heidi
the LOH intern

No comments:

Post a Comment