Thursday, February 4, 2010

My world of rescue pets...

Confession...not one of my pets I have ever owned has been a pricey pedigree pooch or kitty...and I think they have made the best pets ever.

The first cats I ever had were an accidental litter from my cousin's (after that quickly fixed) cat named Calico. They were brothers named Rusty and Sandy. Sandy was one of the most loyal cats I have ever known. I got them before I started preschool and Sandy lived until Christmas break when I was in 7th grade. He was an incredible playmate for a bored 5-year-old and never complained when I dressed him as a baby and pushed him around in a stroller.

Then came Oreo.

We adopted her as a kitten from a rescue organization. She survived moving from Arizona to Virginia and back again. She can hunt a mouse like nobody's business. If she sees you sitting down, you better be sure she is coming to sit on your lap and purr till she is blissfully drooling. She has recently retired with my parents up in Northern Arizona where she spends her days sleeping by the fireplace instead of hunting mice. I wouldn't dare one to try and make itself comfortable anytime soon though!

I know I love the cats, but I do have a soft side for the pups too. Meet my sisters dog Emma.
(Warning, if you meet this dog in real life you will automatically be smitten and tempted to try and smuggle her away. Knowing my sister, I wouldn't recommend that.)We got Emma for free outside of Wal-Mart. If you want a dog that is sweet, smart and loyal Emma is your girl. We don't know what she is, but she is one amazing mutt! If we could clone her, we know everyone would be wanting to get an Emma. You can't help but fall in love with her when you see her walking around with that constantly wagging tail.

Finally, everyone knows Nunu's story.
That picture always makes me laugh. It just shows her curious personality. I wasn't using zoom right then, she just got that close to camera to see what I was doing.

The point of all of this is, if we hadn't taken a chance on these pets we would truly be missing out on some of the greatest compaionship we have ever known. As I write this right now, Miss Nunu is snuggled up next to me on the couch, stretching out and kicking me every once in a while when she gets uncomfortable. She may not have any papers to say what breed she is, I don't even know what her mom or dad were, but it doesn't change her love and loyalty for me.

Next time you want to get a pet, take a chance on a rescue animal. You will find the best friend in a pet you have ever known.

-Heidi
The LOH Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment